This entire website - minus, oh say..... I dont know, 400 some odd cruddy old posts - have moved to a more
professional, better quality, and most importantly, snazzier site!

Yes, you're right, the new site features my past greatest posts, without the awful ones, and all new
ones to come!

Come visit or I'll throw you into a vortex of lava for still being on this old site!
**The link actually works now. Enjoy!


Sunday, March 4, 2012

Home Theater Quality Projectors For Less Than the Ones at ToysRus

So there are a lot of articles for the best projectors under $100 online. But most of them all show the same thing. Those crappy little projectors that are unable to project an image larger than the size of a computer monitor! And even the ones they sell for kids, you know, to play video games on their bed to project onto the ceiling. Those are even more unrealistic (and overpriced) since not only is the image quality absolutely ridiculous, but in order to keep them upright to the ceiling is near impossible. So I set out to find a projector of worth, that would fit my 3 requirements:
  1. It had to be able to project a large enough image to fit the size of my attic room wall (100 inches across exactly) 
  2. It had to be bright enough to see if the lights were off  (and if possible, when they're on)
  3. It had to fit my budget of $100.

Now, for the price, it would sound near impossible to find a projector that fit my needs. But, I turned to perhaps the greatest website in existence - ebay.com

But first. Let me demonstrate the poor quality of a $100 "eyeclops mini projector" we got at ToysRus. And yes, I know it goes on sale all the way down to $35 bucks sometimes. But i'd rather buy 35 dog bones at Petco than waste my money on something so poorly designed. Behold:

Lights off. You can barely see it, and the quality is horrendous. 

Lights on... No comment. 

So after much research online, I found the specs of an acceptable projector:
  1. It must be at least 1000 lumens, but 1500 is ideal for the best quality and brightness.
  2. If you're buying it used - which if you're reading this guide, I would think so! - then make sure the site says how many hours are on the bulb! This is key, for if there are too many hours, the projector isn't even worth buying. You can check to see how many hours the projector's light bulb life is by simply typing in the model and chances are, projectorcentral.com will appear with all the specs you should look at. Then simply compare the life to the amount on the projector.
  3. If you're buying a projector without a bulb - often they're much cheaper - make sure the  light bulb replacement is as cheap as the projector and lasts a fairly long time! You dont want to buy a $20 dollar projector to find out the bulb is $250. And yes. Those are realistic numbers.
That's it! But the catch is to find one that's the right price!

On ebay, there are two categories for projectors. Here is the ideal example of a search in both:

In each section, I set the price, condition of the projectors, and excluded unwanted words such as parts. Both sections are equally as useful to look through, there are plenty of good picks if you really do look through. 

Here's what I ended up choosing: The Hitachi CP-RX60
It came used with only around 9 hours of lamp use out of the 2000 the bulb lasts for. It was exactly $60 (I used the "Best Offer" feature to bring the price down just a tad! It's a wonderful feature to save a few bucks!) and the projector has a pretty 1500 lumens. It projects to the size I wanted, fit the price, and works beautifully even with the lights on! 

Same TV show as the mini projector, only this time, you can actually see the show! 

Lights off, crystal clear!

Lights on, my camera doesn't even do a good enough job at showing the quality.  

So why anyone would waste their money on a pricey projector only to find out that it's crap is actually pretty funny. Because now I'm getting HD quality picture for far under $60. And they're not. Win. 

I can even bring up HD televisions! These things cost above $1000 for a 55 inches and I'm sitting here with double that and the same quality for 6% of what they spent. Cheers!

26 comments:

  1. Good article. I definitely love this site. Keep it up!


    Also visit my web site: art contest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you are a
    great author. I will remember to bookmark your blog and definitely will come
    back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage one to
    continue your great writing, have a nice evening!


    Also visit my blog mouse click the following post ()

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the admin of this site is working, no doubt very rapidly it will be well-known, due
    to its feature contents.

    My web page source for this article

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with
    Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good success.
    If you know of any please share. Thanks!

    My webpage: public relations courses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good information. Lucky me I discovered your
    blog by chance (stumbleupon). I've saved as a favorite for later!

    Visit my page energy engineering

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest
    authoring on other internet sites? I have a web log based upon on the same topics you discuss
    and wants to own you share some stories/information.
    I understand my audience would value your work. If you are
    even remotely interested, feel absolve to shoot me an email.


    Feel free to surf to my web page - home technology

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be suggested this web site via my cousin.
    I am not certain whether or not this submit is written by him as nobody else
    recognize such special approximately my trouble. You're incredible! Thank you!

    Here is my web page ... public relations courses ()

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of
    this site. It’s simple, yet effective.



    Feel free to surf to my blog; Mouse Click The Up Coming Article

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, i believe that i saw you visited
    my weblog so i got here to go back the favor?.I'm trying to find things to enhance my website!I assume its adequate to use some of your concepts!!

    my website: www.Article-collection.info

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I know this really is notably off topic but I was wondering
    which blog platform are you using for this site?

    I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with
    hackers and I’m taking a look at options for still another platform.
    I might be great if you could point me in the direction of
    a great platform.

    My site classic cars

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's up every one, here every one is sharing these kinds of familiarity, therefore it's nice to read this website, and I used to go to
    see this web site all the time.

    my webpage :: College University

    ReplyDelete
  12. I constantly emailed this webpage post page to all my contacts,
    as if like to read it after that my contacts will too.

    Here is my web blog; education blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful issues altogether, you just won a logo new reader.

    What would you suggest about your publish that you just made
    a few days in the past? Any sure?

    Look into my website: energy engineering [x-tube.us]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored to tears at the job and so i decided
    to browse your site on my iphone throughout lunch break.


    Feel free to visit my webpage ... electrical courses

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greetings! This really is my first trip to your
    blog! We have been a team of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a residential area in exactly
    the same niche. Your site provided us of use information to work on.

    You have done a extraordinary job!

    My web-site; online Marketing news ()

    ReplyDelete
  16. Currently it looks like BlogEngine may be the top blogging platform on the
    market at this time. (from what I’ve read) Is that everything you are using on your blog?


    my blog post; College University ()

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a
    quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading through your blog posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects?

    Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to visit my page; please click the up coming website page

    ReplyDelete
  18. Admiring the time and energy you put into
    your blog and in depth information you present. It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same unwanted
    rehashed information. Excellent read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm adding your
    RSS feeds to my Google account.

    Feel free to visit my web site :: http://alamona.org/index.php?do=/blog/75986/6-home-made-remedies-to-clear-acne-pimples-fast/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hola! I've been reading your weblog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the great work!

    Feel free to visit my web page - family house

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's amazing designed for me to have a web site, which is good in support of my knowledge. thanks admin

    My site http://www.cupidsgene.com/profile-41310/info/ [www.popcitement.com]

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Great choice of colors!

    My site - food and drink **

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

    my weblog advertising and marketing communications

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months
    of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions
    to protect against hackers?

    Also visit my website :: latest entertainment news

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let
    you know a few of the pictures aren't loading correctly. I'm
    not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

    Here is my blog education online

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great article.

    My website; just click the up coming post ()

    ReplyDelete
  26. Today, I visited the beach front with my kids. I discovered a sea shell and
    gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean in the event that you put this to your ear. " She put the
    shell to her ear and screamed. There is a hermit crab
    inside also it pinched her ear. She never wants to return back!
    LoL I am aware this is entirely off topic but I had to inform someone!



    My homepage; mouse click the following web site (001.az)

    ReplyDelete